Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:27:31 +0200
From: Rudolf Novak <rudolfn@physics.muni.cz>
Subject: [vsnet-alert 5102] VoNeT / ADA

Dear colleagues,

maybe some of you remmember that some time ago I sent an alert about my
plans to create a public data storage of amateur variable stars
observations. Now it's done!

Virtual Observatory / Amateur Data Archiv (ADA) is a utility which was
primarily constructed to archive a CCD observation performed at Nicholas
Copernicus Observatory in Brno (CR). But later was added also some
personalization and some more functions to make this system usable also
for other observers.

I'd be very happy if observers will join to store there their data of
variable stars and if some collaboration between VSNET and ADA will
exist. Right now Tachi Kato promised me to create vsnet-ada mailing list
which will be used to send alert that some data were added and so on.

Right now the system is able to:

 1) Store information about selected CCD run.

    Please have a look what it can do at a web. Right now it's
impossible to upload files but you can         save data to a database.
I recomend you to store images with light curves and separate data
files     on your web. If you are not able, send me via email your files
and I'll add them.

 2) You can set-up your status.

    This is very important tool. You can set your status (observing,
sleeping,...) and if you are     observing some target, others will see
WHO is observing and WHAT. This cappability should be used     for
campaigns of VSNET or CBA groups!

 3) You can leave messages to other users.

    If you need to let some message to other registered user of the
system, you can. When he will log         in he will see your message
and can follow a target you'll ask him.

 4) Refference to selected object

    If you find interesting URL or article, you can create also a
refference to a selected object.

Every run can have properties to be public or personal so than the data
are NOT visible to everyone.

The URL of the site is

                 http://observatory.astronomy.cz or
http://ada.astronomy.cz

I'd be very happy for questions, comments and so on. I hope that others
will join - then it could be powerfull tool for variable star community.

The server is not commercial, no banners are there, only data. It's
based on ASP technology, cookies and frames. I recommend to have
Internet browser from Microsoft (IE4+) or Netscape 4+. This first phase
will be full of reparations and changes and I hope that you'll send me
many comments.

Detailed info should be found on the web site.

Regards

Rudolf

Rudolf Novak
N. Copernicus Observatory Brno, CR