[vsnet-chat 5624] Re: [vsnet-alert 7572] SGR 1900+14 / bright optical counterpart

Re: [vsnet-alert 7572] SGR 1900+14 / bright optical counterpart

Dear Berto,

> I have tried to get the refered articles but to no avail. So I try to
> respond without knowing the findings in those reports, which could
> possibly refute the assumptions I gonna make.

   Please try the ADS abstract service,

   http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html

   And enter "SGR 1900" for the title query form, and select "and" operator.
Then you can obtain what you would want.  The old articles (including
Vrba et al. 1996) have been scanned, and are available to anyone.

> I estimate 20.0R (+or- 1) for A from the DSS plate of which I do not
> exactly know the wavelength response function.
> Taking R-I= 2 for very red stars (worst case), star A would then be
> 18.0I (+or- 2) on the DSS image.

   You need to introduce interstellar reddening.  The R-I = 2 value
corresponds to a *unreddened* star.  The key terminoligies are Av and
E(B-V), E(R-I) etc.  You will probably be able to reach a correct and
necessary reference :-)