Paper: astro-ph/0209172
From: John R. Thorstensen <thorsten@partita.dartmouth.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 23:45:40 GMT   (109kb)

Title: Five Dwarf Novae with Orbital Periods Below Two Hours
Authors: J. R. Thorstensen and W. H. Fenton (Dartmouth College)
Comments: 14 pages, three figures. Accepted for PASP
\\
  We give mean spectra and report orbital periods Porb based on radial
velocities taken near minimum light for five dwarf novae, all of which prove to
have Porb less than 2 hr. The stars and their periods are KX Aql, 0.06035(3) d;
FT Cam, 0.07492(8) d; PU CMa, 0.05669(4) d; V660 Her, 0.07826(8) d;, and DM
Lyr, 0.06546(6). The emission lines in KX Aql are notably strong and broad, and
the other stars' spectra appear generally typical for short-period dwarf novae.
We observed FT Cam, PU CMa, and DM Lyr on more than one observing run and
constrain their periods accordingly. Differential time-series photometry of FT
Cam shows strong flickering but rules out deep eclipses. Although dwarf novae
in this period range generally show the superhumps and superoutbursts
characteristic of the SU UMa subclass of dwarf novae, none of these objects
have well-observed superhumps.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0209172 ,  109kb)