[vsnet-chat 5140] Re: Curious observations

Re: Curious observations

> It's important to check what we do, to compare with others and to receive
> advice if necessary.

   The procedure the VSOLJ (Variable Star Observers League in Japan) took
when compiling their database may be worth noting.  We set up a special
mailing list on "correcting the database" and voluntary people looked
thoroughly the million database records (not a cursory look!).
We experienced an exchange of messages amounting several megabytes.
During this process, doubtful observations were reported and the responsible
observer tried to work out the discrepancy.  Many observers searched the
backlog of their observations, and some observations were indeed corrected.
During this process, we realized that it becomes increasingly difficult
with time to correct any errors.  It is thus advisable to point out
any potential errors (to vsnet-obs etc.) to urge the observer to immediately
check the observation log.  In fact, Georg Comello has been doing a great
job of looking through all vsnet-recent* and vsnet-mira* messages to make
comparisons between recent observations!  These mailing lists usually
provide daily updated information, allowing easy immediate comparison.