[vsnet-chat 4573] Re: new Tycho variables...

At 21:12 30/06/01 -0300, Sebastian Otero wrote:

>John and all:
>                  I have searched for photometry (from GCPD) of these stars
>and I don't think that something worth can be done visually. Furthermore I
>have my doubts regarding some of them being actually variable!

Hi Sebastian

I later found out that there were a couple of GCVS and NSV sup. objects in
that list I sent out that the authors had missed as IDs, mostly cos they
hadn't looked at later namelists or the supplement to the NSV.

The Luminous Stars' matches are mostly consequent on TK listing them in
newvar.cat, a kind of selection effect.

There are many other non-identified candidates in the Tycho work datafile
that I didn't fancy looking at at the mo'.

With respect to their analysis techniques, well I can't even say
Kolmogrov-Smirnoff or whatever statistics, let alone understand them, but
it is an interesting approach.  Basically, they are solving for variations
that can be (statistically) shown to be caused by the experiment and
satellite etc, and then assuming/testing that any remaining variation is
likely to be real.  They've certainly recovered many GCVS and NSV objects.

Cheers

John