[vsnet-chat 3922] [vsnet-alert 5499] Re: Possible Nova in Pup

Dear Taichi and nova enthousiasts,

If the located star is indeed the progenitor of the brightened object then its presumed nova nature is improbable.
I still believe (and might have mentioned it earlier) that the Pup-Pyx-Vel region must be one of the most under explored MW region in the sky and quite a number of CVs might still be discovered there. This Nova? Pup 00 might be one of them...

Regards,

Berto
PS I didn't read e-mail since 24/12/00 and found quite some interesting findings in my e-box. VSNET is doing a great info job!
We have to keep watch on TV Col. Could it be in a transition stage?
This is an exciting hobby!

>>> Taichi Kato <tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp> 01/02/01 11:59AM >>>
Re: Possible Nova in Pup

> I'm not able to identify this star on USNO A2.0 (no entry like this around
> the suspetc position). As I said earlier, a good USNO A2.0 progenitor
> candidate (if this actually is a nova) is A0600.06937901; is, the entry
> above, related to a different USNO catalogue (A1.0, SA, AC2000...)? Please
> note also that there is some difference in coordinates between A0600.06937901
> (which I indicate to be the probable progenitor) and USNO0600.03989187. So,
> it could be interesting to know if the star reported by Dr. Kato comes from
> a different USNO catalogue. Maybe these stars are the same.

   These stars are the same.  I used USNO A1.0.  If we adopt the USNO A2.0
magnitudes, the V-J color is even more bluer (closer to a slightly reddened
cataclysmic variable).  I wonder how accurate A2.0 photometric calibration
in this field.

PS. If this object is indeed a nova (I suspect so...), the proginitor is
    one of the brightest ones in the recent dacades.