[vsnet-chat 3880] Re: [vsnet-outburst 1196] RZ Leo - a new UGSU type variable !!!

Re: [vsnet-chat 3879] Re: [vsnet-outburst 1196] RZ Leo - a new UGSU type variable !!!

> It seems to me, that everytime (?) when somebody observers such stars with
> high-speed photometry, a superhump period is detected. Is is possible, that
> all those stars are UGSU? Or do I mix facts that don't fit together?

   Not all.  High-speed photometry of UGSS and UGZ stars don't usually
show up superhumps.  Simply they are not (usually) reported.

> Is there something in the live of cataclysmic stars which depends on the
> amplitude and/or period and/or superhump itself?

   Typical SU UMa (UGSU) stars have larger outburst amplitudes and longer
outburst recurrence time than UGSS or UGZ stars.  SU UMa stars are
short-period binaries, whose mass-transfer rate is usually lower than those
of longer period systems.  This low mass-transfer rate makes quiescence
fainter (amplitude is larger), and makes outburst less frequent.  Systematic
high-speed photometry of such dwarf novae is a good strategy for searching
for new SU UMa stars.  Of course, there are exceptions.  Not all
large-amplitude systems are SU UMa stars, and ER UMa stars (a subgroup of
SU UMa stars) are most active bursters among all dwarf novae.