[vsnet-chat 797] SN 1998T location & identification of host galaxy

Dear all,

  We have long discussed about the location of SN 1998T and the
identification of the host galaxy (and surroundings). I will show the
temporal conclusion now.

  NGC 3690 is a colliding pair of galaxies. SN 1998T appears on the
eastern galaxy of this colliding pair; more precisely, the southern
part (south of the dust lane) of the eastern one. The measured
position from GSC stars is R.A. = 11h28m33s.16, Decl. = +58o33'43".7
(J2000.0). Note that this position differs about 15" from the reported
one in IAUC 6844. The accuracy of above position is estimated as 0".5,
mainly due to the uncertainties of GSC positions. Ambiguity arose from
the contamination of the host galaxy is also non-negligible.

  IC 694 is E/S0 galaxy 1' northwest from NGC 3690. Many references
show that IC 694 is a part of the interacting pair, but historically
it is wrong, which was pointed out by Drs. Skiff and Cowrin. IC 694 is
identical to MCG+10-17-2A.

  Markarian 171 is identical to NGC 3690.

  It is widely accepted that Arp 299 is composed by NGC 3690 and IC
694, and possibly other companions. Arp 296 (original Arp catalog
shows that Arp 296 = NGC 3690 + IC 694) are considered as the other
peculiar galaxy.

  Thank those who share the discussions!

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan