[vsnet-chat 463] Re: V1974 Cyg and CP Pup progenitors - answer to Taichi Kato

Dear Dr. Retter,

> I'm scanning now the literature of CP Pup and V603 Aql.  There are so
> many papers! I would be very happy to learn more about your note on CP
> Pup. I naively thought that since it erupted in 1942 - before the
> Palomar Sky Survey, there are no preoutburst plate(s). I might be
> wrong, and we can check the pre-nova mag. of CP Pup. That would be
> intersting and very important for our prediction for the fate of V1974
> Cyg.

    According to Warner's "Cataclysmic Variable Stars", CP Pup was reported
to be fainter than mag 17 before eruption (Gaposchkin 1946 = Harv. Coll.
Obs. Bull. No. 918).  It would be interesting to check this source reference
(missing here!).

    Warner also lists pre- and post-eruption magnitudes of three very fast
novae.  From his Table 4.5:

          Porb      mv(max)  mv(pre)  mv(post)
GQ Mus    1.43 hr      7       >21      17.5
CP Pup    1.47         0.2     >17      15.0
V1500 Cyg 3.35         1.8     >21      17.2

    I think RW UMi is another example of novae which stick in brighter
post-eruption magnitudes than pre-eruption ones.