[vsnet-chart-problem 48] Re: chart problems (was: More and more and more .)

Re: chart problems (was: More and more and more .)

> Of course, adding this to the list of "qualifications" for accredited chart
> makers narrows the list of potential candidates to a select few, who are
> probably professional astronomers that would have little or no interest in
> such a job. That is why much of this work has fallen to dedicated amateurs.

   Not all jobs must be done by a single person.  Even if the actual
chart makers are dedicated amateurs, some professionals may be able to
provide useful information before undertaking the actual chart-making job.

   A public forum like this has greatly contributed to such kind of jobs,
especially when the objects are entirely new (such as novae).  We can
see a good example of "how the best sequence was adopted for SN 1993J"
in the vsnet-history backlog.  Many professional astronomers contributed
to better qualify the sequence.

   http://www.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/vsnet/Mail/vsnet-history/maillist.html

   A closed community with a limited devoted chart makers would not have
performed this degree of comprehensive research.  It may be a surprise
that such a full-featured work, based on an electronic community, was already
established more than 10 years ago, and the result was immediately
reflected on subsequent observations as well as refining the previous
observations.  The same was true for the following novae at that epoch.
I don't find any reason to doubt if such a cooperation is still feasibile
in the modern times, unless there is an unrewarded effort to turn back
the clock by some decades.

> (I've always thought the charts for visual use should be made and checked by
> experienced visual observers, which would eliminate most professional
> astronomers too.)

   I have experienced the both.  When I first looked at the CCD images,
I was surprised to see how useless our familiar visual charts were for
CCD observing.  This was probably a result of different limiting magnitudes,
and we can expect that the same thing would happen between different
apertures and magnifications (or even degree of experience) even in the
same visual observing.

Return to the Daisaku Nogami