[vsnet-chart-problem 41] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] More and more and more .

> On behalf of the charts group at the AAVSO, I'd like to thank Mr. Otero
for
> pointing out some errors on a chart.  As has been stated time and time
> again, corrections and updates are an ongoing process.
> I see no need however, to rant.  When Mr. Otero's charts are flawless, and
> he has several thousand charts of varying ages, qualities and sources,
maybe
> then I'll take him seriously.  Until such time, there is a less public
forum
> for pointing out errors.  I suggest he use it.  And in a more
professional,
> respectful manner.

You can take me seriously or not. Meanwhile, you'll be plotting wrong stars
four times in two days.
I think that the addition of new errors has nothing to do with an ongoing
correction process.
It has nothing to do with quality or perfection.
When you mention different sources, this also doesn't mean that there aren't
better sources than others.
Those sources don't seem to be chosen.
Two consecutive plotting errors for two stars mean a careless attitude.
You had my imperfect -of course- but well-plotted charts for comparison and
a correct identification of AG, T, etc.
However, the careless and "unprofessional" attitude continued.

The other day I found that a comparison star in one of my charts was
variable. I had to update the chart in a hurry. It can happen. But I am not
talking about it.
I think that if there is not a Henden-Sumner sequence ready to use or
something already done at hand, the resulting chart won't be good. It
shouldn't be like that.
Besides wrong identifications, the confussion of Hp and V magnitudes, the
use of variable stars that could be worked out with some research and a lack
of priorities regarding the accuracy of the different catalogues is also a
mater of concern.
Hipparcos and Tycho-2 are included as if they were equally accurate and for
most of the stars with Hipparcos (and PEP from the ground) data availbale,
those data weren't used.

I think that the huge amount of work in existence is always a justification
to keep doing it the wrong way right now.
About the publicity of these kinf of things, I certainly think that it's
important to alert all the people regarding those errors.
I ususally met people totally n love with AAVSO charts, even those that
contain this kind of mistakes.
Mu point is trying people to judge and think by themselves about a chart's
quality, even one of mine or De Bernardini's charts.

Regards,
Sebastian.

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku Nogami