[vsnet-campaign 1209] 1RXS J232953.9+062814: strong humps

1RXS J232953.9+062814: strong humps with a very short period

    Our reduction of the last night data is now ongoing.  The preliminary
light curve is very impressive.  We can see three humps with amplitudes
of 0.3 - 0.4mag in our first 2.9 hours run.  Our period analysis
yields the period of 0.04320(79) d.  The fast-rise slow-decline profile
of these humps strongly indicates that these are superhumps.
In this part of the light curve, the object rapidly faded with a rate of
2 mag/day.  Confirmations of the current status of this object are
very urged.

    The ~0.043 day period superhumps are the shortest one among hydrogen
rich cataclysmic variables except for the SU UMa-type dwarf nova, V485 Cen.
It is possible that the humps are double peaked and its real period is
~0.086 day.  If it is the case, the orbital period of this object
may be near the lower edge of the period gap.

    Anyway, it is certain that 1RXS J232953.9+062814 is very interesting
and important object for the cataclysmic variable study.  Follow-up
time-series observations are strongly encouraged.

Regards,
Makoto Uemura, Ryoko Ishioka, and Taichi Kato