Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:36:05 -0400
From: "W.Liller" <wliller@compuserve.com>
Subject: Fizzle

Hola, Howard et al. -

Tonight at UT June 7.9670, 2001, I measured the magnitude of GSC 9166 755

with a broadband V system.  I get V(bb) =3D 12.73.  The star which I reported
was at magnitude 9.8 last night has returned to its quiescent state !

I've double-checked the pair of films showing the star as bright.  The
exposures were 1.5 and 2.5 minute with mid-exposure differing by 4.0
minutes. Without any question, the images are real.    On the first,
shorter exposure, the star seems slightly brighter -- perhaps by 0.2 - 0.3
mags -- which suggests to me that GSC is probably a flare star.

Alternatively, it could be an extremely short duration SS Cyg type or a
super-fast nova. It could even be an errant (and nearby) asteroid, rotating
rapidly but not moving so fast that in four minutes it shows motion.

(Focal scale 670"/mm).

Tonight it is too faint for me to obtain a spectrogram.  Maybe someone else
can.

All the best to all,  Bill Liller