[vsnet-campaign-v838mon 360] [FWD] Nebula in V838 Mon location

>From: "Bob King" <lakewind@infi.net>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 01:23:13 -0500
Subject: Nebula in V838 Mon location

I want to report that at 3:15 UT May 3 I found a small nebula at the
position of V838 Mon when I sought out the star to estimate its
brightness. The star was gone! In its place was an approximately 45"
diameter, magnitude 10.5 nebula which was oval-shaped and slightly
elongated east-west. I studied the object for 25 minutes with a 37cm
reflector at magnifications up to 242x before it was too low to view. This
was clearly a nebula and not a blurring of faint stars. The variable was
not visible.
Can someone confirm this observation?
Thank you,
Bob King