[vsnet-campaign-v838mon 313] (fwd) Re: V838 Mon (Henden)

From: aah@nofs.navy.mil
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:43:38 -0700
Subject: [vsnet-chat 5271] Re: V838 Mon

Thom wrote:
>Has V838 gotten bluer or redder since the (last)
>maximum?  Is the thinking now that the progenitor was a red giant that
>is now sloughing of a (more to come?) shell?
  Over the last week, V838 Mon has changed dramatically.
At VRI, it is about the same as before, but U and B are
*much* fainter; another example of how filters can
highlight different astrophysics.  I can expose for
15 minutes at U before saturation, whereas I can only expose for
0.8seconds at I, and that with defocus.  I'm waiting for
the moon to get past full, and then will do some deep
imaging in the blue wavelengths.
  V838 Mon is thought to be very similar to FG Sge, V605 Aql
or V4334 Sgr; you can look at the ADS/Simbad papers on
those objects.  However, the jury is still out as there
are a number of differences, making this a very
fun star to follow.  Luckily we have a few months before
it disappears in the west.
Arne