[vsnet-campaign-v4641sgr 42] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] V4641 Sgr - Very Active

The msec variations observed visually are indeed real. My observations
were made with at least 2 comps simultaneously visible in my visual field.
The 123 comp is so close that both it and V4641 are in my foveal area and
receive the highest, and equal attention. V4641 clearly varied
dramatically compared to the more steady comp. There was of course
almospheric effects as well as vision variations that affected the comp,
but the relative difference between the target and comp was so obvious there is no question
about the variability.

Granted V4641 is a rare case, but this does show an extreme advantage of
visual over CCD. In fact, had nobody bothered to look at this thing
through an eyepiece, its possible these ultra-short variations would never
have been detected via CCD. Maybe evryone with telescope time should
devote 60 seconds looking at their target thru an eyepiece before starting
their data runs ;)

Mike Linnolt