[vsnet-campaign-sn2002ap 50] Re: SN 2002ap spectrum

Re: SN 2002ap spectrum

>Wouldn't that be an observational characteristic of "some" hypernovae,
>rather than the definition?

  The definition of hypernovae?  The more energetic explosion of a
massive star than typical gravitational-collapse SNe would be called
as hypernova.  As long as for modelling, the first meaning is the
larger explosion energy received by the ejecta, not the luminosity.

>If the maximum luminosity of SN 2002ap eventually
>turns out to be comparable to a normal SN, should one call it a
>hypernova from this spectroscopic diagnosis?

  From the exceptionally large expansion velocity, it would have more
kinetic energy than normal SNe.  I guess it can be called hypernova,
even if it will not become so bright (small amount of radioactives are
produced during the explosion).  Of course, the theorists will work
hard to explain it ;-).

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp