[vsnet-campaign-sn 698] [FWD] Re: SNe information from IAUC 8206

[FWD] Re: SNe information from IAUC 8206

>SN2003if  20030120.2 <190C  KAI
>SN2003if  20030920.5  176C  KAI
>SN2003if  20030921.5  177C  KAI
>
># SN 2003if (3:19:52.61, -26:03:50.5 (J2000.0), offset = 19"E, 12"S)
># is hosted by NGC 1302, a face-on early spiral ((R')SAB(rl)a) galaxy.
># Some foreground stars are superimposed on the galaxy.  The CfA team
># has revealed that it is type Ia SN about 3 weeks after maximum based
># on Sept. 22.46 UT spectrum.  Considering that the expected maximum
># for typical unreddened SN Ia is mag about 13.5 (!), and that the
># spectrum (http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/cfa/oir/Research/supernova/spectra/snngc1302-20030922.flm.gif)
># shows no remarkable extinction (and also it is consistent with the
># redshift of the host galaxy (v_r = 1703 km/s)), it must be quite
># peculiar SN Ia.
>
>## Or are the reported magnitudes wrong?

  Weidong Li at the KAIT responsed that the reported magnitudes were
correct.  Surely it should be a quite subluminous SN Ia.  The
monitoring how it will decline in these weeks would be highly
important for understanding the nature of subluminous SNe Ia.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: SNe information from IAUC 8206

My reported magnitudes are not wrong ... the object must be
quite subluminous at peak, i.e., a 91bg-like object. A 91bg-like
object would be atoub 15.5 near maximum, and decline 2 magnitude in
3 weeks, so it would be about 17.5 now, which agrees with my
reported magnitudes.

-Weidong