[vsnet-campaign-sn 640] Re: SN II 2003gd in M 74

Dear Luis and all,

>  Is there any indication so far on whether this SN is still on the rise ?
>
>  I imagine the strong, broad, IR hydrogen lines observed point to the
>  possibility that the star was caught shortly after the collapse, right ?

  No information I have received.  Three days after discovery, it
remains at almost the same magnitude.

  There have been few example of the IR spectrum of SN II, but
generally speaking, the well-developed lines with P-Cyg profile are
the sign that it is around maximum.  The very early spectrum of SN II
typically shows quite blue and nearly featureless continuum.

  And, the expected maximum for typical SN II for M74 is mag about
13.5 or so; the "hypernova" SN 2002ap was also in this class, in spite
of its large kinetic (explosion) energy.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp