[vsnet-campaign-sn 345] spectroscopy of recent SNe

Dear SN watchers,

  IAUC 7825 informed that the UCB group has taken spectra of recent
SNe on Feb. 11 UT.

SN 2002ap:

  It is very similar to hypernova SN 1997ef about 2 weeks after
explosion, as was suggested by us (Kinugasa et al., IAUC 7811).

SN 2002av:

  It is of type Ia near maximum.

SN 2002ar:

I wrote in [vsnet-campaign-sn 341]

># SN 2002ar appeared in the compact group of galaxies HCG (Hickson
># Compact Groups) 57 = Arp 320 = Copeland Septet.  The host
># barred-spiral (SB(r)b) galaxy NGC 3746 is the brightest one in this
># group.  SN is embedded in the bulge, quite near from the nucleus.
># The discovery magnitude is near to the expected maximum for typical
># SN Ia.

  It is also of type Ia near maximum.

SN 2002au:

I wrote in [vsnet-obs 38267]:

># UGC 5100 = the host galaxy of SN 2002au is an odd barred-spiral
># (SB(s)b) galaxy.  The expected SN Ia max is mag about 16.1.

  Its spectrum was reported to resemble that of type Ia 1-2 weeks
after maximum, but uncertainty remains.  It was merginally detected on
Feb. 1.3, so the age would not be so old.  Further observation is
needed.

SN 2002ao:

  This SN could not be classified yet.  Gal-Yam and Shemmer (IAUC
7810, 7819) note that it resembles that of SN IIb, and Kinugasa et al.
(IAUC 7815) suggest that it can be of type Ic.  The UCB group
mentioned that it has very unusual spectrum; it has strong He I
*emission* lines.  Such emission lines are only observed in the
nebular phase of type Ib SNe, which is very later phase.  There was no
sign of such profiles on Kinugasa's spectrum, so it must have
experienced very rapid evolution.  Further observation is surely
needed.  This SN is near mag 14 on Feb. 5, which seems to be rising or
at maximum.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp