[vsnet-campaign-nova 1442] (fwd) Re: [vsnet-chat 6848] Re: (fwd) Re: (fwd) nova list update

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:14:29 +1000
From: Vello Tabur <vello@pcug.org.au>
Subject: Re: [vsnet-chat 6848] Re: (fwd) Re: [vsnet-campaign-nova 1424] Re:
 (fwd) nova list update

Taichi Kato wrote:

>   Oh, I am very sorry!!  I confused the case of Vello Tabur in
>V2573 Oph (this observation has been elsewhere sometimes referred
>to as "independent discovery of this nova").  I simply confused
>with this with yours probably because I was not directly aware of
>your discovery report on V4745 Sgr.  Next time, we would be
>extremely happy to hear from you your next discovery of a nova!

Dear Dr. Kato,

Just to set the record straight about N Oph 2003 (= V2573 Oph),
- I was the first person to see this object (in fact 4 weeks before Takao reported it), and
- I immediately recognized it as an undiscovered variable star and added it to my catalog, but
- I did NOT report it as a possible nova. Based on the evidence available to me, I was not sufficiently convinced that it was an eruptive variable, so I made a conscious decision not to report it.

Although you may argue that I didn't discover *Nova* Oph 2003 (and I would agree), I would respectfully submit that I did discover the *variable* star V2573 Oph. As they are the one and the same, it is a matter of semantics and I leave it to the philosophers amongst you to debate what to call such an unusual situation. At any rate, IAUC 8166 called it an independent discovery.

Best Regards,

--
Vello Tabur
Comet Hunting Techniques    http://vsnet.tip.net.au/~vello