[vsnet-campaign-dn 3757] GO Com: superhump period increase! (beat phenomenon?)

GO Com: superhump period increase! (beat phenomenon?)

Dear Colleagues,

   We have received new data from Nakajima-san, Tonny Vanmunster (2 nights),
Brian Martin, Tom Krajci, and Tanabe-san (VSNET Okayama station) and the
OUS team.  Surprisingly, the superhump period of GO Com increased during
the past one night!  Such a sudden change in the superhump period is rarely
seen during the superoutburst plateau stage.

   The period change may be alternately interpreted as the effect of
a "beat phenomenon" between the superhump period and orbital period (the
best example in an non-eclipsing SU UMa/WZ Sge star being RZ Leo: Ishioka
et al. 2001 PASJ 53, 905, see also
http://vsnet.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/vsnet/DNe/rzleo.html ).
One may remember the strong effect of beat phenomenon during the 2001
superoutburst of WZ Sge, see
http://vsnet.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/vsnet/DNe/wzsge01.html ).
There is also a hint of beat phenomenon in the mean magnitude and the
superhump amplitude.

   If the second interpretation is correct, the estimated fractional
superhump excess is about 2.5%, which is not unusual for an SU UMa-type
dwarf nova with this superhump period.  In any case, the superhump
evolution of GO Com has not been monotonous.  We therefore strongly
encourage observations as continously and thoroughly as possible
during the entire superoutburst and the subsequent post-superoutburst
stage!

VSNET Collaboration team

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku Nogami