[vsnet-campaign-dn 3467] KS UMa: superhumps update

KS UMa: superhumps update

Dear Colleagues,

   We have received new data from Tonny Vanmunster (two nights, as already
reported by Tonny) and the Nyrola team.  New data by the Kyoto team
and Torii-san (RIKEN) have been also added.

   The resultant mean superhump period is 0.07026(2) d.  This period
(most likely progressively updated) is now the best determined superhump
period of KS UMa.

   We have now detected a significant period change.  The rate of change
dot(P)/P is around -3*10(^4).  Since the baseline is still short, we must
wait for another days to confirm this trend.  If confirmed, this negative
period derivative is one of the most pronounced among moderate-period
SU UMa-type dwarf novae.  This might partly resolve the inconsistency
of the superhumps periods determined on different occasions.  Except for
UV Gem and recently discovered objects such as V877 Ara and KK Tel,
there is a tendency that the dot(P)/P makes a minimum around P=0.075 d
(Kato et al. (2002) PASJ 54, 1017).  KS UMa would be another, but possibly
more striking, object following this trend.  Further observations to
completely follow the superhump evolution are encouraged.

VSNET Collaboration team

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku Nogami