[vsnet-campaign-dn 3391] GZ Cnc results of Jan 31/Feb 01, 2003 at CBA Belgium Observatory

Dear colleagues,

I just concluded a 6.0 hours observing session (unfiltered CCD, 0.35-m f/6.3
SCT) of GZ Cnc at CBA Belgium Observatory. Atmospheric conditions tonight
(January 31/February 01, 2003) were relatively good, with long and stable
clear periods.

The resulting light curve is amongst the most interesting, but also most
complex ones I have seen in months (see www.cbabelgium.com). At the
beginning of the session, GZ Cnc was fading by about 0.5 mag, as part of
what seemed to be the slope of a superhump. The subsequent rise showed a
first remarkable and symmetric dip of about 0.35 mag around JD ++2671.46.
Apparently, this was the start of a gradual brightening of the object, which
continued till the end of the session.

However, this rising trend was superimposed with lots of irregular and short
period oscillations about 0.1 - 0.2 mag in amplitude. Large amplitude
modulations started to appear again in the light curve around JD ++2671.57,
when GZ Cnc showed an amazing, eclipse-like 0.8 magnitude drop. After that,
high amplitude variations continued to exist until the end of my observing
session.

What a nice show this variable puts on ! I'd be interested to see the
further evolution, and hopefully some stations in the US will be able to
take over from here.

Best regards,
Tonny Vanmunster
CBA Belgium Observatory