[vsnet-campaign-blazar 287] (fwd) Mkn 421

   We have received the following announcement of the potential Mkn 421
campaigns from the WEBT.

Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:23:19 +0100
From: Massimo Villata <villata@to.astro.it>
Subject: Mkn 421

Dear WEBT people,

I have recently received two different suggestions for possible WEBT
campaigns on Mkn 421, in December 2002 and February-March 2003, to be
carried out during multifrequency (especially in the X and TeV bands)
campaigns planned on this object.
The problem with this object is that we are not sure to detect
interesting optical-radio activity which makes the WEBT campaign worth
to be published independently of the high-energy campaign. In other
words, a WEBT-only paper is not assured and, as already occurred in the
past (right on Mkn 421), the WEBT results might remain unpublished at
all. Moreover, I have also to remind that photometry of Mkn 421 is
difficult to perform because of the difficult field and of the prominent
underlying galaxy.
I don't say this in order to discourage a possible WEBT campaign, but
only to clarify the situation if someone is willing to officially
propose the campaign and to act as Campaign Manager.

The relevant information on the MW campaign of December 2-16 is at the
VERITAS site <http://veritas.sao.arizona.edu> .
If somebody wishes to propose itself as Campaign Manager for a
contemporaneous WEBT campaign, please, let me know asap.

Cheers, massimo