[vsnet-campaign-blazar 150] (fwd) Markarian 421 (WEBT)

(fwd) Markarian 421 (WEBT)

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:26:49 +0100
From: Massimo Villata <villata@to.astro.it>

  As you may have seen, Markarian 421 showed large X-ray and TeV fluxes,
with large variability, during January (WEBT News 6, January 24th). Now
we are organising a WEBT campaign a-posteriori on the optical and radio
monitoring of this object during this time.
  The aim is to collect all the available data for a combined light curve.
At the moment we aim for observations taken between January 1 and February
10, 2001. Since Markarian 421 is a huge galaxy, the optical data should
be reduced using similar parameters. We will adopt the methods used in
the BL Lac campaign last summer.
  The Campaing Manager will be L. Takalo (takalo@oj287.astro.utu.fi),
with S. Wagner (S.Wagner@lsw.uni-heidelberg.de) coordinating the multifrequency
aspects. Please contact L. Takalo for any optical data you may be able
to provide for a joint analysis. If Mrk 421 stays active, we may extend
this campaign furher into February/March and will send out another alert.

Leo Takalo
Massimo Villata