[vsnet-campaign-be 9] Delta Scorpii recent history

Delta Scorpii keeps on brightening. The ongoing optical outburst is already
more than 0.4 mag. in V.
Juan Fabregat (University of Valencia, Spain) informs that he has been
receiving several spectra taken in the past. The emission lines have been
present, although with variable strength,  for at least five years. So we're
not witnessing the birth of delta Sco as a Be star but its birth as a gamma
Cas variable . There are two nearly equal spectra taken on June 3rd and July
23rd by french amateurs at
http://astroccd.com/terre/buil/us/catalog/7sco.htm

Juan aks southern observers able to do UBV photometry to do it urgently in
order to find out if the color index has changed along with the brightness.
Since delta Sco has been spectrally active some years now, it would be
interesting to know whether this brightening started along with the past
spectral activity.
Fortunately I used this star in the past for practising variable star
estimates due to the appearance of several bright comparison stars nearby.
Though I don't have a precise record, I can tell for sure that in winter
1998 the star was normal  and probably it was the same in 1999.

The outburst continues so watch the star closely.
Will it become the brightest GCAS ever? It's not very far...

Best regards,
Sebastian.