[vsnet-alert 7760] Re: Possible Nova in LMC by Liller

>>  5 08 25.59 -68 26 22.3
>>  for the nova suspect.

     A quick look in VizieR shows other IDs, notably in DENIS, where it is
given with magnitudes I = 13.2, and J-K = 0.7; and 2MASS where it is
given with J = 12.4 and J-Ks = 0.6.  Given the location, the colors
suggest either a foreground early-K giant (i.e. in the Milky Way), or
a somewhat hotter supergiant, say G8Ia, in the LMC.  The non-outburst
magnitudes suggest Mv around -4 if it's in the LMC, which is consistent
with the G-supergiant interpretation.  The near-zero proper motion
suggests it cannot be a nearby K/M dwarf.
     Given that it appears at V ~14-15 in the various survey catalogues,
clearly something unusual is going on.
     I note that there is evidently MACHO data within an arcminute or two,
and doubtless ASAS data as well.  Presumably the relevant databases
could be queried to see what's been happening.

\Brian