[vsnet-alert 7575] Re: SGR 1900+14 / bright optical counterpart

Please don't get too anxious about this observation.  If you
look at the literature on SGR1900+14 (especially Vrba et al.
2000, ApJ 533, 17 and Vrba et al. 1996, ApJ 468, 225), you
will find that there is a close pair of highly reddened M stars located
at approximately
   19:07:15.2 +9:19:21.3 J2000
Since this location matches Berto's coordinates, I am sure that
he is just seeing these two stars blended, especially since he is observing
unfiltered.  You must be very careful in reddened regions.
Arne