[vsnet-alert 6971] HV Vir: early superhumps!

HV Vir: early superhumps!

Dear Colleagues,

    We have received long runs from Gianluca Masi and Jochen Pietz.
In addition to the fully analyzed Kyoto and RIKEN data, we have been
able to pin down the period to 0.05705(3), which clearly indicates that
the present modulations are early superhumps!  [During the 1992 superoutburst,
the period was 0.057085(23): the advent of the recent technology has enabled
us to obtain as precise value within two days of the observation!]

    On Jan. 4, the profile was dominated by double waves, as earlier
reported.  The amplitude of the variation became smaller as the object
slowly brightened, and the modulation is now rather dominated by a single
wave (stronger peak of the initial waves).  The change of the profile of
early superhumps seems to be faster than expected.

    More detailed and further analysis will be mostly reported to
vsnet-campaign-hvvir.  When sending data privately to the Kyoto members,
please make sure to send them also to Ishioka-san
(ishioka@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp) and Uemura-san
(uemura@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp) in order to assure a prompt analysis.

VSNET Collaboration team