[vsnet-alert 6925] (fwd) MCQC J162847-4152 - a PossibleBrightest Microquasar found

I haven't seen any distinct variablility in brightness from my visual
observations of this possible mcq during the past winter months here
(June-Aug 2001).

The large R-B factor (from U2) could be the consequence from the
redness of the target which might be in quiescence most of the time and
not necessarily due to the U2 measures being taken at different epochs.
But then I could be wrong. Spectral measurements can reveal much.

One can derive a low T (<3000 K) Planckian curve from the published
observations in the B, v, R and O(range) bands. This means a rather very
red star/system with not much indication of an accretion flow.

Possibly we still have to see live performance in the visible
wavelengths and if indeed it is a mcq it ought to brighten to well above
mag 10 (v) at times of activity. I'll keep a watching eye on it, weather
and season allowing.

Possibly others want to join...

Berto Monard
Pretoria

>>> Brian Skiff <bas@lowell.edu> 12/12/01 04:06AM >>>
     The best current position for this object is probably from UCAC1,
which shows:  16 28 47.285  -41 52 39.00 (2000).  Uncertainty is 8mas
in RA
and 11mas in Dec.  The reported "orange" magnitude is 12.5.  Note also
that
UCAC1 shows a proper motion of about 0".024/year, but the errors are
of the same order, so the motion is not significant.

\Brian