[vsnet-alert 6664] Re: Probable SN in NGC 1448

Dear SN watchers,

"Berto Monard" <LAGMonar@csir.co.za> wrote:

>I have pleasure in announcing my first visual supernova discovery,
>which has been confirmed since.  The SN will have to be named still
>by IAU, hopefully later today.
>
>The following details apply:
>Galaxy : NGC 1448 at position 03 44 32 -44 39
>
>The position of this relatively bright supernova (suspect) in this
>relatively nearby galaxy (approx 15 Mpc) is about 15" North and 9"
>West of the galaxy nucleus. From this position it is not clear if it
>belongs to the disk or the bulge. Improved positions and descriptions
>will be announced in the circular.
>
>There is a 14.8 V (approx) foreground star just to the North of the
>SN suspect.
>
>My most recent observations of NGC 1448  in UT
>
>20010825.96   <14.6V
>20010917.064   14.5V
>20010917.108   14.5V
>20010917.930   14.3V
>
>Since then clouds have taken over here but I received reports that
>the SN has brightened further.

NGC 1448 is slightly further but nearly as same distance as Virgo
cluster.  Typical SN Ia can become brighter than mag 13.  It can be
caught with other wavelength such as radio or X ray.  The spectral
classification is urgently needed.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp