Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 05:47:25 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Takashi Iijima <iijima@astras.pd.astro.it>
Subject: Nova Cyg 2001

                                               July 18 2001, Asiago, Italy

Optical spectra in the range from 430 to 680 nm of the possible nova
in Cygnus reported by Y. Nakamura were taken at July 17.9 UT using a Boller
and Chivens spectrograph mounted on the 122 cm telescope of Asiago
Astrophysical Observatory of the University of Padova. The spectra show
broad emission lines of H I, Fe II, and probably Na I D and N II. Some
prominents emission lines are accompanied by P Cygni type absorption
components. The FWHM of H-alpha emission component is about 950 km/s and a
weak absorption component blue-shifted by about -1200 km/s is seen. This
object could be a classical nova in the early decline stage from light
maximum.

T. Iijima
Astronomical Observatory of Padova,
Asiago Station,