[vsnet-alert 6038] ES Dra - a new UGSU-type dwarf nova, just above the period gap !

Dear colleagues,

On request of Joe Patterson (Columbia University, NY), the CBA has launched
an observing campaign on ES Dra, following my announcement about the
detection of 0.11 mag modulations in the light curve of this CV, during the
night of June 25/26, 2001.

As a result, we have received a good data set of ES Dra observations from
Jerry Foote (CBA Kanab, UT), obtained on 2001, June 29, during a session of
3.8 hours. His observations clearly show the existence of full-grown
superhumps, with an amplitude of 0.4 mag. A preliminary period analysis,
using the PDM technique, reveals a dominant period of 0.1267 +/- 0.002d.
This is perfectly in line with my own findings, published in my ES Dra
message regarding the June 25/26 observations.

The above observations thus establish ES Dra as a new UGSU-type dwarf nova,
just above the period gap. We will continue to monitor the present
superoutburst of ES Dra and welcome contributions from other observers.

Full details on the above, including the light curve of Jerry Foote's data
set and the PDM period analysis plots are available on my web site (see
address below).

Best regards,

Tonny Vanmunster (CBA Belgium)
Jerry Foote (CBA Kanab)