Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:53:05 -0400
From: "W.Liller" <wliller@compuserve.com>
Subject: Poss. nova

Hola, Everyone -

On a pair of Kodak Tech Pan 25 films taken through an orange filter and an
85mm f/1.4 lens, at UT June 16.6292 and June 16.6306, 2001, I found a
possible nova, magnitude 9.5.  On June 12.6, the star was fainter than mag
11.0.  The star's approximate position (2000): R.A. = 17h 11.0m, Dec. -21d
31'.  A Mira variable V1521 Oph is about 4.3' to the southwest, but even if
its position is incorrect in the GCVS, it would seem to be too faint (12.9
photographic mag) to be the nova suspect.

Tonight looks hopeful and I will try my best to get a low dispersion CCD
spectrogram. Any info from other observers would be very, very welcome.

All the best to all,   Bill Liller