[vsnet-alert 5884] MM Hya observation at SAAO

MM Hya observation at SAAO

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 22:45:33 +0200 (SAST)
From: Brian Warner <warner@artemisia.ast.uct.ac.za>
Subject: Outburst of MM Hya

Patrick Woudt and I have been observing the current outburst of MM Hya
with high speed photometry on the 1.0-m reflector at the South African
Astronomical Observatory.
 On 15 May it had a double humped profile with a poorly determined period
of about 80 mins (and almost all the power in the first harmonic).
    Last night (May 16) it had a very low modulation (about 0.1 mag range)
at a period of about 80 mins (we only observed it for that length of
time).
    Tonight superhumps with a peak-to-peak range of about 0.3 mag have
appeared. Our preliminary superhump period is 84.60 mins, which is 2.0%
longer than the orbital period of 82.93 mins given by Misselt and Shafter
(AJ 109, 1757, 1995).
   If anyone else is observing this outburst (we are unlikely to observe
it further) we would be happy to combine observations.

Regards,   Brian Warner