[vsnet-alert 5591] RE: [vsnet-campaign 705] V344 Ori data from Vanmunster, and some more

Dear Taichi and others,

This kind of 1-hour scale, large amplitude modulations and irregularities,
and the corresponding ~0.12d periodicity are indeed not very frequently
observed in erupting dwarf novae, as far as I know and can deduce from my
CCD observations over the past 5 years. There's one very similar case
however, call it a 'twin' of V344 Ori, that comes to my mind, and that's
V405 Vul (S 10943). During the August 2000 outburst of V405 Vul, I followed
this object very intensively through CCD photometry, together with some
colleagues from other CBA stations (Bob Fried, Sergey Shugarov) for over 2
weeks. We got dense coverage and Sergey and I have been making various
attempts to analyse the periodicities in this system, finding also values
around 0.12d - 0.14d. However, we never got secure, stable values over the
entire observing period.

I think it would be worthwhile to give some priority to both objects in
terms of next outburst coverage. Moreover, they are an ideal 'couple', as
one is primarily a Summer target and the other a Winter target.

Best regards,
Tonny