[vsnet-alert 5577] Re: NGC 4342 SN?

Dear Weidong, Brian and all,

> I just noticed that there might be an old SN in the DSS image
> of NGC 4342. The image was observed on Mar 10, 1956 and there
> was a new star in the south-east spiral arm, which disappeared
> in subsequest DSS II images and are not in our recent KAIT images.

Is the star on the *north*-eastern part of NGC 4342?  Probably it is
an old SN.  The rough estimate of the position is: R.A. =
12h23m39s.29, Decl. = +07o03'34".1, which is about 19" north and 4"
west of the nucleus of NGC 4342.  It should be reported to CBAT, I
guess.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp