[vsnet-alert 5346] [FWD] Suspected Nova in M 31

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:23:02 +0000
From: afamstar <afamstar@libero.it>
To: tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Subject: Possible Nova in M31

Dear Taiki,
at the Remanzacco Observatory (Italy) we are conducting a Nova patrol in
M31 since last August. We are using our 0.3m f/2.8 Baker-Schmidt camera
+ CCD.
On October 22.9, we have found a suspect object at cordinates: R.A. =
00h42m 57.2s, Decl. = +41d07'18" (equinox 2000.0), with unfiltered CCD
magnitude : 17.6 (limiting magnitude almost 18.5). It was visible in
four different frames, and it was not present on other frames of the
same region taken with our instrumentation on September 1, 7, 8, 9 and
22 (limiting magnitude almost 18.5).  Due to bad weather, we were
prevented to obtain other frames until October 28.9, when we spotted it
again in six different frames, but at fainther magnitude (estimated to
be 18.1).

We are in the need to obtain more confirmation images, but unfortunately
the weather here is bad, and the forecast are unfavorable for many days.
I'm  afraid that we cam loose this object, because if it's really a
Nova, it will became rapidly fainther than magnitude 19. Please, could
you help us alerting any of your collaborators in the VSNET alert list,
to take a frame of this sky area? I enclose you copy of our frame taken
on Oct.28.

Best regards,
Giovanni Sostero (Remanzacco Observatory)

-----
(attached image will be posted to vsnet-image)