[vsnet-alert 5314] re vsnet-alert 5312

Dear All

According to vsnet-alert 5312, Tutukov, A. V. 1995, AZh, 72, 400 may
contain details re the eclipsing binary nature of delta Velorum.

HOWEVER, the abstract available at
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/cdsbib?1995AZh....72..400T via the CDS
reads as at the end of this post.

It can be seen that the abstract reads more like a suggestion/proposal for
a survey based on theoretical considerations, and as this survey includes A
type stars of infrared excess: delta Velorum would naturally be included as
a _potential_ candidate.

It would therefore be extremely useful if someone with access to a full
version of this paper could comment whether specific observational data is
mentioned for eclipses of any nature in delta Velorum, and if so the period.

My reading of the abstract makes me feel that only ranges for _possible_
eclipses for a diversity of objects, as a result of general considerations,
are mentioned.

Kindly cc any reply to varsao@fullzero.com.ar

Thanks a lot

John

John Greaves
UK

Abstract of Tutukov, A. V. 1995, AZh, 72, 400 from CDS/ADS bibliographic
link:-

>The observed distribution of binaries with respect to the orbital angular
momentum
>is used to estimate the relative frequency of planetary system formation.
It appears to be close to one
>third of the star formation frequency. This estimate is supported by the
observed frequency of cold dust
>disks around main sequence A, F, G, K stars. Giant planets originating at
the evaporation border of
>volatile components of circumstellar dust can occult about one percent of
their low mass (0.1 solar
>mass) central stars. Systematic photometric tracking of stars up to I = 20
m within one square degree at
>a galactic latitude of 50 deg may lead to the discovery of about 10
eclipsing planetary systems with
>orbital periods from one to three months, duration of eclipse from 2.5 to
6.5 hr, and an occultation depth
>up to 1 m. This approach is also efficient in the search for brown dwarf
companions of low mass stars.
>Separation of planetary systems from eclipsing binaries is discussed in
detail. Short orbital periods of
>giant Jupiter-type planets, and relatively deep occultations increase the
possibility of their discovery in
>the frame of current or planned variable star search projects.

end-of-abstract