[vsnet-alert 5251] Re: PQ Aql outburst

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 07:54:18PM +0900, Taichi Kato wrote:
> PQ Aql outburst
>
>    The long-period SU UMa-type candidate PQ Aql is reported to be in
> outburst.  The last outburst was reported in 2000 March by Patrick Schmeer.
> A long outburst was observed in 1999 November (see below).

All in all I observed three PQ Aql outbursts with the IRO:
1999 Nov.  8          mag 14.5:   supermaximum       (vsnet-alert 3676)
2000 Mar. 17.519 UT   mag 15:     normal outburst    (vsnet-alert 4419)
2000 Apr. 17          mag 15.5:   supermaximum       (vsnet-alert 4641)

The mean cycle length may be about 1 month and the supercycle about
5 months, so the current outburst could well be another supermaximum.

>   YYYYMMDD(UT)   mag  observer
>   20000906.810  <151  (T. Kinnunen)
>   20000907.810  <153  (T. Kinnunen)
>   20000909.819  <153  (T. Kinnunen)
>   20000910.810  <153  (T. Kinnunen)
>   20000911.810   154  (T. Kinnunen)
>
>   Time-resolved photoemtry during the present outburst is strongly encouraged
> in the context of continuing VSNET campaign.
>
> cf. vsnet-alert 3690:
>
> PQ Aql time-resolved CCD photometry
>
>    From the CCD observation of PQ Aql on Nov. 9, we have detected light
> modulations (~0.10 mag), which may be attributable to superhumps.
> The possible period of the light modulation was 0.1 d or slightly longer,
> which makes definitive period determination difficult from a 3-hour run.
> Further observations are strongly urged to accurately determine the
> nature of the variability.
>
> Regards,
> Taichi Kato, Makoto Uemura

I thought PQ Aql had been confirmed as an SU UMa-type dwarf nova (cf. the
following report).