[vsnet-alert 5205] Re: Rare outburst of NSV 14652 (correction)

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 11:15:12PM -0000, Tonny Vanmunster wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I have just detected a (faint) outburst of NSV 14652, a suspected CV (UG?) on which very few information seems to be available, using the 0.35-m f/6.3 telescope and ST-7 CCD (unfiltered) of CBA Belgium Observatory. The object is located at R.A. = 23h38m49.2s, Decl = +28d19'55" (J2000.0). The NSV lists a magnitude range of 13.8 - 16.0 (photographic).
>
> I know that Timo Kinnunen once mentioned the object in a VSNET email, indicating that it was bright on 3 out of 11 POSS scans, with a maximum brightness around mag 12.

My inspection of the same scans revealed a brightening for a few days in 1993
June, when NSV 14652 had become almost as bright as the nearby mag 13.1 GSC
star. Unfortunately neither the rise nor the fading is covered by the POSS
scans, so it cannot be stated for sure whether that brightening was actually
an outburst.

> More details on my observations :
>
> 20000809.066 UT, <17.0 C
> 20000822.882 UT,  15.8 C

A rise by (at least) 1.2 magnitudes in 14 days does not necessarily imply an
outburst. During the 14-day interval NSV 14652 was checked by (at least) two
visual observers, but at mag 16 the variable would have been probably too
faint for Timo and certainly too faint for myself.

Regards,
Patrick