[vsnet-alert 4825] Re: MuniDOS repaierd / Virtual observatory up!

Dear dr. Husar,

> as you know I have been always very interested in MUNIDOS and its
> further development. Especially I appreciated your help sending the
> manual some time ago. Nevertheless I stopped evaluating MUNIDOS for my
> photometric work because of the 'time bug' and several other diffculties
> which may be due to some specific computer configuration I am using (?).

:(

> E.g.: I tried V2.11 without sucess, but I do not know the exact reason
> for it. Further I encountered some dicrepancies with the FITS-keywords
> from MIRA-FITS-files which were not properly recognized as observation
> date and time: DATE-OBS and TIME-OBS instead of DATE-OBS and UT and I
> did not want to go through the process of changing the keywords of
> hundreds of files. Maybe these incompatibilities could be handled with
> some sort of configuartion file for MUNIDOS.

If you do not include standard SBIG files to munidos you certainly will
have problems. In old DOS routine I wrote in Pascal there is bad way to
read a FITS header (I had no other FITS than those created by ours soft)
and chosed bad option of input. Now I'm older and have better compiler
(and also Honza Manek asked me to do it :) so the new version of windows
analyzing program is suitable to read every FITS (I hope I hope I hope)
header and use the right fields in right way. Please remember first
philosophy of the package. It was made for our own ST-7 cam and BAT-like
command files :)

> Presently I am using MIRA 6 which runs quite well and fast and some
> simple DOS-software (PASCAL) for quick 'on-line' analysis of my
> SBIG-files from a colleague. The 'on-line' analysis as I call the almost
> real time light curve viewing 'mode' is something I would appreciate to
> have for MUNIDOS and for the FITS-files (as delivered by the MIRA camera
> software).

yes. I'v heard about the package but we do not have enough money to buy
it. In fact I'd be happy if we should do a small test. I can put some
data to a web, all correction images, all pure SBIG files and everyone
who is able to perform some kind of analyzing will download, analyze and
send me a results. I'll then prepare a web page with comparison. Will
someone join? Let's see how are our results different.

> I am still very interested in your work on MUNIDOS and hope that you are
> able to present a new version which is probably helping in 'on-line'
> analysis of data and maybe in the search for variable stars (thousands
> of images waizing for it!). Also it could be of some importance to
> include the possibility for psf-photometry.

Yes. Automatical searching of variables is very common task for
time-series photometry and I'm very shy that I have 13 CD's and no
software to fully analyze the data. Maybe more people like me just waits
for some good reduction package. If someone have some, let us know. But
the problem is that it's

1) expensive
2) do not exist :)

In fact I hardly work last weeks to learn Delphi, I think a lot about
the best aperture photometry reduction steps so as I hope when I'll
finish the work, we'll have some free-of-charge package which will be
easy to use, functional and smart enough. But I need to test, test, test
and of course a lots of help from people like you who ask me, write me
or beat me. Very good work was done by Filip on Linux verison so please
download and try.

Have a nice day

Rudolf

P.S. Munipack is available at