[vsnet-alert 4814] Re: Unnecessary postings? or an Incorrect Empohasis

Greetings,

This topic seems to come up every so often. As a relatively consistent CV
observer I like a place where I can see everything that's happening in the
CV world at a glance. VSNet-Alert is the nearest to this. OK, it comes with
a lot of stuff of no interest to me like faint SNs (I've probably made more
UBV measures of SNs than most but have yet to be personally convinced of
the value of all these faint ones, but that's my idiosyncracy). I can
easily skip these items.

But even so some things are missed like the early stages of the precursor
to the last OY Carinae superoutburst because it was initially on the
obervations net only. We're reaching a stage where the later stages of SOs
are highly overobserved, yet the events in the precursor and the onset of
the SO are very poorly observed. Some of the features of the early stages
of the ordinary outbursts of SU UMa stars have only been observed once or
twice on individual stars. Only CCD monitoring will prove whether they are
universal or occur only on stars of particular types, or with certain
inclinations.

Some might say that this is all visual observing material but having looked
at some of this in detail the same pattern is seen there - heavy
overobserving in the later stages but few measures of the really important
parts. And in some cases the amplitudes are only a few percent.

So I'd sooner plough through many messages than miss one of them which may
lead to  new discovery. There aren't all that many CVs and if the first
detection of any outburst was on VSAlert I would think that a useful
posting. At present there's a heavy emphasis on SOs and it's reminiscent of
the 1970s when a group of people were detecting superhumps on different
CVs. But initially all that this tells us is that they are stars of a
particular subgroup - the SU UMa stars. We seem to discount all the others
as unimportant but this is not necessarily the case.

So rather than fewer notifications I'd like to see every CV outburst on
VSAlert.

Regards,
Stan

And best wishes to Sonja - a well emphasised point about the 'Sirs' - which
was pointed out to me by a different lady!

<extpasc@rz.uni-sb.de>