[vsnet-alert 3894] QY Per fully grown superhumps

QY Per fully grown superhumps

    The Kyoto team finished the analysis of the very successful 8.5-hour
run on Dec. 30.  Four fully grown superhumps are impressively caught.
Compared to Dec. 29 observations by Masi and the Kyoto team, the growth
of the superhump was apparent, whose amplitude is now around 0.3 mag.
This growth probably explains the unstable period solution from the Dec. 29
data only, when the superhumps are still under way to a growth.  Combined
period analysis of Dec. 29 data by Masi and Dec. 30 data by the Kyoto
team has yield the best superhump period of 0.0779 d.  We will be able
to inform the updated results after finishing the analysis of successive
Dec. 31 data by Masi and his colleagues.  The data indicate that the
observation covered the most important part of the early stage of
the rare superoutburst.  We thank again to Mike Simonsen for timely
notifying us of this rare event.

Best regards,
Taichi Kato, Makoto Uemura, Gianluca Masi