[vsnet-alert 3469] Re: Nova Sgr 1998 brightening!

Dear readers,

This is very interesting!

Nova Sgr 1998 is most probably a permanent superhump system
(Lipkin, personal communication). Thus, it cannot have dwarf
nova outbursts. Short-term outbursts have been observed in a
few systems (TV Col, AM CVn, and even once in Nova V705 Cas
1993). To explain this behaviour, I prefer the idea of Hellier
and Buckley (1993), who suggested that these mini-outbursts
are mass transfer events. However, other explanations are
possible (e.g. magnetic activities as in our sun...). I,
therefore, suspect that the nova will return back to its
'quiescence' state (the level before this event, not the nova
event) very fast. If I am wrong, though, and this would be
a long dwarf nova like outburst, it should pose serious
difficulties to the Disc-Instability model.

Observers are encouraged to confirm this result, and to check
the current magnitude of the nova.

Regards,
Alon
   Dr. Alon Retter         Tel. (work)     +44-(0)1782-58-3493
   Physics Dept.           Fax  (work)     +44-(0)1782-711093
   Staffordshire           'As a scientist I don't believe myself, so
   ST5 5BG, U.K.            why should I believe you?' (A.R. 1965-2085)