[vsnet-alert 3380] Spectroscopy of SN 1999dn

Dear colleagues,

I have posted the following report to CBAT.

K. Ayani, Bisei Astronomical Observatory (BAO), R. Furusho, Institute
of Physical and Chemical Research, H. Kawakita, Gunma Astronomical
Observatory, M. Fujii, Fujii Bisei Observatory, and H. Yamaoka, Kyushu
University, report "A low-dispersion spectrum (400-750 nm) of SN
1999dn (IAUC 7241) was obtained with the BAO 1.01-m telescope on Aug.
21.7 UT.  The spectrum resembles that of SN 1997X presented at
http://oir-www.harvard.edu/cfa/oir/Research/supernova/spectra/sn97x.gif,
which indicates that this supernova is of type Ic shortly after
maximum light.  Our spectrum reveals reddish continuum with strong
absorption features whose minimums are at 620 nm (Si II), 564 nm (Na I
D and He I brend), and 468 nm (He I). These wavelengths are converted
to the rest frame of the host galaxy, using observed v_r = 2790 km/s,
which is determined by H-alpha and H-beta emission lines.  Narrow Na I
D interstellar lines are weak or absent.  The expansion velocity
derived from Si II absorption minimum is 7300 km/s.  Our spectrum can
be found at http://vsnet.oka.urban.ne.jp/home/bao/astro/sn/sn99dn.gif.

Regards,
Kazuya Ayani
Bisei Astronomical Observatory