[vsnet-alert 2878] V699 Oph position

Proposed indentification of V699 Oph

Congratulations to Andrew Pearce for observing an outburst
of this supposed non-existent dwarf nova. Andrew notes that
the outburst is at the position shown on the vsnet chart of
this variable.

A comparison of the POSS I and POSS II images of this region
using the DSS shows an apparently slightly variable faint
star near the vsnet position of this variable.

This star is USNO A2.0 0825-09347211, with magnitudes
19.4 blue and 18.7 red. It is one of the bluest objects
in the field. I suggest that this is V699 Oph in quiescence.

The J2000 position from ASNO A2.0 is:
	16h 25m 13.710s  -04d 40' 48.08"

Astrometry during the current outburst will confirm (or refute)
this identification.

Regards,
Bruce Sumner