[vsnet-alert 1833] (fwd) on V2051 Oph (Warner)

From owner-vsnet-adm@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp Fri May 29 06:10 JST 1998
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 23:08:52 +0200
From: Liza van Zyl <vanzyl@uctvms.uct.ac.za>
Subject: (No Subject in original)

Dear VS Net persons:   I have been looking at your announcement of the
supposed superoutburst of V2051 Oph.   If you look at my paper in MNRAS
Vol 224, p.733,1987  you will see that I did some high speed photometry of
V2501 in outburst and that (a) it is probably too small an amplitude to be
a superoutburst and (b) there are no superhumps.  The eclipse centred on a
"superhump" shown on your Web page is just the enhanced orbital hump that
appears during outburst,
   I do not understand just what is going on during an outburst of V2501;
I hope that more extensive coverage will provide some clues.

With best wishes,

Brian Warner  (in the middle of a two week observing run at the
observatory at Sutherland, devoted entirely to GW Lib).