[vsnet-alert 1657] Re: SN 1998an

     Further to Yamaoka-san's note about SN1998an in UGC 3683, I collected
precise positions for the galaxy itself.  The average of the NED, GSC v1.2,
and USNO-A1.0 positions is:

UGC 3683   7 08 13.9  +46 06 57 (2000)

...so Arbour's position for the SN has the correct offsets.
     I also examined the galaxy on the relevant POSS-II J film.  Indeed
this is a "textbook" example of a pure SA0o type galaxy.  I note that the
corona of the galaxy in its outermost isophotes has a somewhat 'boxy'
outline, which is uncommon but not unusual for galaxies of this type.

\Brian